Friday, March 11, 2011

Commentary: “The Light”

"The Light"

 

In the following story, found in the teacher's help of this week's lesson, a home owner and a friend discuss the owner's frustration with the darkness in his home.

 

Owner. I give up! I'm never going to find my way out of this trap.

Friend. Trap? This is your home. You built it. You invested years of your income to get this place. Now you want out?

Owner. In a heartbeat. But it's not going to happen, is it? I feel betrayed and lied to!

Friend. What?

Owner. You heard me! I was told that this was the great adventure.

Friend. What is?

Owner. The absence of light. At first it was a novelty. It was a real kick feeling your way around in the dark—kind of secretive like the hide-and-go-seek you play as kids. Then I did a face plant, tripping over something. May have broken my back falling down some stairs nobody told me about. Tried feeling around the walls for an outlet to plug in a light and got shocked. I hate darkness.

Friend. Then let the light in.

Owner. Aren't you listening? I've tried till I'm blue in the face . . . that is, if you could see my face. I was promised this forever light . . . fluorescent deal that never goes out . . . only I can't see where to screw it in and I fell on it. Cut my hand to pieces. They said just start the generator for electricity, but the pull cord snapped. I've done everything I know to put some light in this dungeon. Nothing, I mean nothing, works. I'm doomed to darkness.

Friend. You're the one who isn't listening. I didn't say, "Make light." I didn't say, "Generate electricity." I merely said, "Let the light in."

Owner. Huh?

Friend. There's already plenty of light on the other side of your cur­tains. You don't have to make it. You just need to let it come in.

 

So let us recap: In this story a man lives in a dark house.  He was unaware where things were so he stumbled into them, sometimes falling and hurting himself.  He tried to create light in the house but was never successful; adding to his frustration.  His friend suggested the man opens the curtains.  Light from the outside would come in and make the darkness disappear.  When the darkness disappeared what was in the house would be exposed.  He could stop stumbling, falling, and getting hurt.  He could even find other sources of light for the spaces where sunlight could not reach. 

 

The story is a great illustration of how spiritual light works.  In the Gospel according to John, the beloved apostle introduces Jesus in the first chapter as the Word of God made flesh.  He adds that In Jesus "… was life; and the life was the light of men" (John 1:4).  Jesus himself said several times that "I am the light of the world" (John 8:12; 9:5).   Thus a contrast is established:  anything and everything pertaining to Jesus is light, Sin is darkness.  This contrast is clear in John 8: 12, "… he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." 

He that follows Christ denies himself, takes up their cross and are worthy of Him (Matthew 10:38; 16:24).    You can safely say that if someone is worthy of you that you are pleased by them.  Paul wrote in Hebrews 11:6

 

Hebrews 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

 

When you seek someone you follow.  As you see everything comes full circle.  So, when you diligently seek or follow Christ by faith, when you deny yourself, you walk in His light and partake of it.  This Light shines through you. 

 

So, if the light in the above story is Christ - or the effects of accepting Him by faith - then the light comes from the outside and all we have to do is open up the curtains of unbelief and let Christ shine on, in and through us.  We will stop stumbling because of Sin.  The Light exposes the Sin, and we can let Christ take it away from us.  As we can see from the story, trying to create Light on our own will never work effectively.  Will you let Christ's  Light shine on, in, and through you?



--
Raul Diaz
www.wolfsoath.com