Friday, March 05, 2004

The case for Purity and Faith



Comments on Lesson: True Greatness

There are four weeks left for this quarter, and we are barely at half of the book of John. What is more amazing is that half the book is about the last two days of Jesus life. They are important lessons in these two days. Perhaps these lessons are even more important for those whom death will visit before Christ's return. Christ was a great example even for them. In these last two days he shows us how to take care of one’s affairs when death is imminent.
The first call of order was the last supper. Before dinner Jesus washed the disciple's feet. This was a tradition in the Middle East. The servants would wash the dry and dirty feet of the houseguests. We are told that Jesus was teaching us how to be humble, hence the name Ordinance of Humility. I do not argue the point of teaching humility. I also think that Jesus was teaching us another lesson besides humility. I believe calling this ceremony the Ordinance of Humility gives it a wrong focus. It leaves out a very important aspect that Christ emphasized but we often ignore.
One Sabbath morning when I was in college I went to a local church. I arrived late. They had communion and I arrived just as the foot washing was finishing. The elder asked me if I wished to participate. I said, “Yes,” and added, “Is there anybody who needs their feet washed?” He did not answer my question. Instead he lead me to the back room. He asked me to sit down and take off my shoes and socks, and proceeded to wash my feet. When we finished he asked me to join them in the sanctuary. At that moment I asked myself, “What is more important, getting your feet washed or washing someone else’s feet?” Needless to say, I was truly humbled after that experience.
Like a good Bible student I went to the Bible. I notice that it John 13: 6-8 says:

Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

I realized at this point that it is as important to be clean or pure as it is to be humble. Actually, maybe Jesus was telling us that only those who are pure are truly humble. Washing someone else’s feet every three months will not make me humble. Allowing Christ to make my mind and heart pure will make me humble.
The lesson jumps to chapter 17. It is perhaps the most beautiful and most meaningful prayer in the Bible. Christ, knowing what was awaiting Him, and what was awaiting the disciples and the subsequent believers, prayed for all. This is a great example for all of us. It is especially a great example for those who are dying. Pray for yourself and those who will continue after you, while you have time and strength to pray. We learn form this prayer to pray for ourselves and for others. We learn from this prayer what to pray about. Not only unity among the brethren, but for their sanctification. We learn to pray that we become one with God, as Jesus and the Father are one. We learn to pray that we become one as we become one with Jesus. Unity alone does not guarantee oneness with God. Those who built the Tower Babel were united in their rebellion against God. Oneness with God will guarantee that the believers become one body, regardless of their church affiliation.
What Jesus is praying for here is Spiritual Strength. What Jesus is praying for is that the believers have faith. The type of faith that Jesus himself had. He prayed for a faith of total trust and surrender to God the Father. Jesus prayed that the believers would have a faith that when faced with a trial like He would face, they too could be victorious. This type of faith can only be acquired when we allow the Holy Spirit to sanctify us in Word and in Truth. This faith we cannot purchase or earn with hard work. It is a gift from God. Only those who continually believe will receive it. These are the ones that only need their feet washed. They are clean because they have been bathed with the blood that Jesus shed on the cross.

The Special Insights web page resides at:
http://www.1888message.org/sabbathschool/